Wednesday 12 November 2008

It was a sunny day when...

The morning I drove to the mammogram, was a beautiful Monday morning. This is unusual for us in Nanaimo. It rains here a lot in the fall, but not that day. I remember thinking that this is a nice day to be diagnosed with cancer. Yeah, yeah, I had done the reading that 80% of the lumps turn out to be benign, but I was preparing for any possibility. The technician was very personable and efficient. She even laughed at my jokes. At one point she left the room to check the images and returned with a request by the radiologist to get more images of the left breast (the good one). Now I know that it's because they saw that nasty thing on the right and wanted to see if there was anything in the left one too (which there isn't). I was out of there by 9:00 and went for coffee with Wanda. By the time I got home it was just after 10:00 and Norm called to see how it went. Fine, fine, I told him. It was a breeze. I didn't check the answering machine for another hour, but when I did, I saw that Dr. Findlay's office called at 10:00. I returned the call and guess what? The doctor wants to see me that afternoon. "Oh why", I ask. "Is it because of my foot?" Duh - the receptionist didn't say that but she probably thought it. After making the appointment for 12:20 that afternoon, I thought - you silly - it's because they think the lump is cancer. Then I cried. Back on the phone to Wanda, who said she would meet me at my appointment. Meanwhile, Mom is on the ferry and needs to be picked up at 12:45. Next... 

No comments: