Wednesday 12 November 2008

meeting the surgeon

On the morning of Thursday, November 6, I met Dr. Carr, my surgeon. Before I met him, I had to take our little puppy in for his vaccinations. This will become important later on, trust me. Hershey checked out at the vet and all was well with him. I dashed over to meet Dr. Carr, with Wanda waiting for me in the office. 

It was a very good meeting. I really liked him and left the office feeling so positive and informed. He explained that the mammogram showed a lump and that there is a 99% chance that it's cancer. I would know that for sure after the results of the biopsy (later that afternoon). He also pointed out that there are some calcifications that showed up in the same breast. These could be nothing, or they could be other areas that are showing signs of an early cancer. Either way, the lump has to come out. I signed a consent form for surgery, which will take place in two weeks. The lump and surrounding tissue will be examined and if the calcifications show cancer, then off comes the breast. This will be a separate surgery 2 weeks following the first. I will likely have to have both chemotherapy and radiation. 

Although the news was hard to hear, I felt good and strong because he just told it like it is. I even left the office singing. Weird, I know. The next appointment is the ultrasound and the biopsy at the hospital.

1 comment:

AJ said...

Jackie,
All the while, you're in God's loving arms, and when you're under the anesthetic, Grandma will be holding your hand.
All my love & support, Honey,
Auntie Jan.