Friday 23 July 2010

the biggest risk I took today

I was in and out of the hospital in no time flat. Norm took me in for 9:45 am, and I was out by 4:00 pm. Surgery was late to start, I got going about 1:00 pm and was waking up in the recovery room at 2:30 pm. No pain, just a little stiff in my back. I am assuming it went well, however, the normal course of events didn't go as per usual, so I feel a bit off. I saw Dr. B once before I went in the OR, but not again. I was already out to sleep before he came in, and I did not see him after the surgery either. It's funny how this disruption in my preferred pattern has me feeling off. What's worse is that I even have a pattern in my surgeries. Geesh. This is number 6 since May.

Do you want to hear something funny? Two nights ago, I felt a lump in my non-breast. This part is actually not funny, but the story has a funny ending. I am accustomed to checking for lumps and bumps, and I know what I should feel like. You may remember that this is how I found the cancer in the first place. While still at the Lake, I felt a hard lump at the bottom edge of the tissue expander. I went back and forth between that breast and the other; no, there definitely is not a corresponding lump on the left side. Not again! OK, I thought. It's pretty small, so I will have caught it in time. I'll ask Dr. B to have a look at it when he opens me up. While I did not get to the panic stage, the lump was on my mind for two days. I kept it to myself, not wanting to worry anyone. So, I'm prepped for surgery, and Dr. B comes in to make his markings on me. He says, "I bet you'll be glad to get this port out." O my gosh! I start laughing and tell him that I had thought it was a new lump. He says, "That's not the kind of thought to be having. When did you figure it out?" "Just now! I have stewed about it for the past two days."  What a goof I am. I chuckled the whole way down the hall to the OR.

As for my big risk, I must admit it. I really couldn't help myself. I played the piano this evening. It was Beethoven.

Thank you my dear friends. I'm learning.

3 comments:

jojo said...

Applause!!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything went well! Now let's keep that leash short and tight for awhile ! LOL ! Big air hug ! - Carm

Anonymous said...

To a most amazing gal!!! You're doing great, Jackie!!

Love to you, Jillayne