Thursday 14 October 2010

I've been busy being OK

It's October already. It's not even the beginning of October, but the middle. It's almost Halloween. I've actually seen some Christmas lights in the neighbourhood. My summer was fantastic, after all the surgeries, I guess anything would classify as fantastic. We did lots of camping, of course, and then came September.

We all started back at school this year, me included. I always felt left out when everyone got new pencils and notebooks, so I decided to take a course. I registered for the School and Community Support Worker Program in March, and I am loving it. There's a lot of work involved - lots of reading and essays. That's why I am writing in the blog now. It's because I have three assignments due, and I love to procrastinate. The last time I was in University, I baked when I was avoiding work. Now I play the piano. I've actually become quite good!

It's a two year program, part-time, and most of the courses are in the evening. There are two practicums; one is community-based, and the other is school-based. I've signed up with a residential drug treatment facility for January, and I'm really looking forward to the experience. I am so happy to finally be doing something with my life. Of course I'm glad that I have a life to do something with. I feel well and it feels good to be on the path of normalcy.

I've still got another surgery in January to replace my tissue expander and put in a permanent implant. Apparently, it's a fairly simple procedure. After that, a nip and tuck to equalize things, and I should be ready to party. Other news to make me smile is I have had my last appointment with my cardiologist. I was seeing him for two reasons, one is that my heart function became impaired during my chemo treatment, and the other reason was for an irregular heart beat. This bigeminy (the heart alternates a regular beat with a premature beat) was discovered during my partial mastectomy, back in November 2008. It hasn't caused me any concern, and the belief was that it would be with me for the rest of my life. Not so. My function is back and my heart beats the way it should. I've got a regular ticker now. Picture me with more grey hair, 20 pounds overweight, still lopsided up top, but normal, good, in fact - great. 

It's coming up to my two-year cancerversary  (November 11), and I'm very thankful for every day I have. Our family just participated in the Run For the Cure at the beginning of October, and we shared a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner with Wanda and her family. These are beautiful days.

1 comment:

NIVALDO said...

WHAT´S UP JACKIE!
THAT´S SO GOOD I CAN ENTER IN YOUR BLOG AND CHECK SOME NEWS ABOUT YOU!
THAT´S AWESOME YOU HAVE SO MANY HAPPY NEWS TO SHARE! GOOD FOR YOU!
I´M DOING OK HERE IN BRAZIL!
WELL! I´M 20 NOW! HAHA! KIND OF A LITTLE BIT MORE MATURE THAN WHEN I WAS WITH YOU GUYS!
THE LAST WEEKEND WAS FOLLOWED BY HOLLYDAYS ON MONDAY AND TUESDAY, AND I WENT TO OUR FARM WITH MY FRIENDS BY CAR TO MAKE A NORTH AMERICAN WAY OF CAMPING (I CAN DRIVE NOW EH!), WE CHOSE TO BUILD TENTS AND WE MADE A CAMPFIRE, I WENT TO THE SUPERMARKET TO BUY SOME WEINERS, BUT HERE THEY HAVE ANOTHER NAME WHICH I DON´T KNOW! THE ONE I BOUGHT WAS QUITE BAD! I THINK IT WAS NOT EVEN WEINER! HAHAHA! AND I COULD´N FIND ANY MARSHMALLOWS IN THAT SUPERMARKET! TOO BAD! BUT WE HAD FUN AND LAUGHED A LOT! BECAUSE THE BRAZILIAN WAY OF CAMPING IS REALLY DIFFERENT THAN THIS!
HOPE YOU PEOPLE DON´T FORGET ME CAUSE I DON´T FORGET YOU! BYE