Thursday 11 November 2010

Cancerversary - It's been two years

Two years ago today I found out I had breast cancer. I woke up this morning wondering why I would want to remember such a terrible day. I wish I could celebrate the day I was cured of cancer, but the problem is, I don't know that I am cured. No one will say I'm cured for another three years. For now, I will celebrate the day of my diagnosis, because on that day, my treatment began. Once the diagnosis was confirmed, steps could be taken to get rid of the cancer. November 11, 2008 is the day I knew for sure what was wrong. I began to be aware of my health, and specifically, of cancer.

Knowledge and awareness are the first steps in tackling a problem. A cure, a fix will come later. Today I celebrate knowledge, and I am reassured that it saved my life. Ignorance would have been nice, for awhile, until death. Knowing my diagnosis sent me down the right path, the one to life. 

It has been a very challenging two years. My thanks to my family, friends, and my to health professionals for all your support, time, caring, and patience. In trying to think of other ways to say "thank you", I thought of, "You make my life so much easier". I'll just shorten that to, "You make my life".   

1 comment:

NIVALDO (BRAZIL) said...

hi there jackie!
i really enjoy reading your blog! it makes me feel close to you people again! i've talked a bit to your very nice and friendly new student, a girl - though "orkut" and i recieved the message from rosalie! thanks for all! a great big hug for the whole family! and a "what's up" for dimitri! what a nice guy! hahaha! bye!