Sunday 11 January 2015

Into the ring again

By now, most of you know that my cancer has returned; it has spread to some lymph nodes in my chest wall and collarbone, and into my lungs. All this news came in bits and pieces, and was a complete shock to me.

I had that dreaded, "It's cancer" conversation with my surgeon on December 2, 2014, while I was at work. I had seen Dr Carr the week before to follow up on a suspicious lymph node above my left collar bone. The node was first discovered in June at an oncologist appointment. This was supposed to be a routine appointment, and so it was, until he found an enlarged lymph node. He wondered about it, but then quickly wrote it off as nothing to be concerned about. I pressed him for further testing, which he did. I was referred back to my family doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound. At every step, I was told that everything checked out fine. I had nothing to worry about. To follow up, I was to see my GP in 3 months, and she would send me to the surgeon for assessment if the lymph node was still enlarged. It was a bit bigger than it had been in the summer, so off I went to see Dr. Carr on November 26. He did a needle biopsy and called me with the results the day before I left for my trip to Montreal with Lucas.

That was a hard bit of news to swallow! I was orienting at at new unit that day, so I didn't know anyone very well. Someone asked me how I was doing and I passed off my glazed look as being tired. I went for a lunch break and then I called Norm. I told him my news, but decided I wouldn't say anything to anyone else until I got back from my Montreal trip. I wanted to have a fun time away without every conversation being about cancer. I especially didn't want Lucas to worry about me when he was supposed to concentrate on competing. 

The trip was great. Peggy met us there and we toured around Montreal. We even made it to Québec city. Lucas and Sarah had a good experience at the Skate Canada Challenge and will compete again in Kingston at the Nationals! I'm so glad I kept quiet about my problems. 

I arrived home on Tuesday, December 9 and had my biopsy on the 10th. At this point, I was hoping for a lymphoma diagnosis, not a breast cancer recurrence. Apparently, that would have been easier to treat. I also had a CT scan on Friday the 10th. That was to see if the cancer was anywhere else. Of course, I was hoping that it was just in the one lymph node. No. I found out that there were multiple nodes affected, as well as a 3.5 cm tumour on my chest wall, and at least 14 spots on my lungs. Oh, and it wasn't lymphoma. It was definitely recurrent breast cancer with metastases in the lung. Crap. Very big pile of crap. 

I saw my oncologist, who happened to be my old oncologist from my first time with cancer. She's a very proper older lady who wears skirts and Oxford shoes. She retired sometime after I saw her in 2009, and now is back for a locum. She looks just the same but now she's wearing Skechers. She set me up for chemotherapy to start promptly on Christmas Eve. Surgery won't be of use now because of the extent of the tumours. The plan is for chemo to work its magic, and then have a CT scan in a few months to assess the progress.

Chemo is going pretty well. I've had three sessions so far with minimal side effects. The only bothersome symptom is a bit of tummy trouble. The first three sessions were in Victoria, a two hour drive from home. Now that they have room for me in Nanaimo, I'll have my sessions at the hospital there, starting this Thursday. 

I will end this post on a positive note:

1. My bone scan came back clear,
2. I kept my hair for 3 and a half weeks after my first treatment. I noticed a few strands of hair on my shirt this morning, 
3. I'm still working, and I am so thankful for that. I love my job and I especially love my coworkers, 
4. Norm is coming home more often, and will be home this Friday,
5. I have fantastic, caring children. 



6 comments:

Hedy D said...

Dear Jackie,

You have cancer, but, the cancer sure does NOT have you! You are a proven fighter Lady! Hope to get to see you when we get over to YOUR island! We're seeing Leo's new oncologist in Victoria on Jan. 28th!

"When you are surrounded by Love, anything is possible"!
And you are! Surrounded!

viv said...

Thanks for sharing the blog, it sure keeps us that love you in touch while not bombarding you with oodles of questions ( repeated ones) often….you definitely have the optimistic attitude. Please know you are in my prayers multiple times daily. I love you, cherish our lifelong friendship and my life has definitely been blessed by having you in it!
Continue to be the blessing you are!

Anonymous said...

Sending you a big hug from the U.S. I'm so sorry this is happening and I hope the treatments continue to leave you with few side effects. I also hope you'll update the blog now and then so I know how you're doing.

Sherri Jo in Arkansas, USA

Jane Walters said...

You are such a wonderful woman. I'm glad you're writing. It's helpful in so many ways.

Jennifer Neuman Akiyama said...

Hi Jackie, remember me from Safeway? Just want you to know that I will be praying for you and truly believe God is listening. You're a wonderful person - I always thought you were a strong person from way back then.

Carla said...

Love, hugs and prayers..... You're doing a great job!!
Blessings to you and your family!
~Carla