Sunday 26 January 2014

RAK Day 1

You guys are so sweet! People are more concerned with having to post about their little kind gesture than about actually doing it! OK, the posting is optional. Don't worry about it. The main thing is to get out and show someone you care.







Take a look at this video, recommended by Rosalie



Below are some ideas to get you going, courtesy of Oprah:

One small, thoughtful gesture can make someone else's day...

1. Say "Good morning" to a person standing next to you in the elevator.


2. Pay the toll for the driver behind you.

3. Take a minute to direct someone who is lost, even though you're rushing.

4. Write a letter to a child who could use some extra attention. Kids love getting mail.

5. Offer to pick up groceries for an elderly neighbor, especially in extreme weather.

6. Give a homeless person your doggie bag.

7. Say "I love you" to someone you love.

8. Put a coin in an expired meter.

9. Help a mother carry her baby stroller up the subway stairs, or hold a door open for her.

10. Each time you get a new item of clothing, give away something old.

11. Take someone's shift as the car-pool parent.

12. Bring your assistant coffee.

13. Out of the blue, send flowers to a friend.

14. Say "please" and "thank you"—and really mean it.

15. When you're on a crowded train or bus, offer your seat to an elderly, disabled or pregnant person.

16. Don't interrupt when someone is explaining herself.

17. Let a fellow driver merge into your lane.

18. Offer to baby-sit for a single mom.

19. Put your shopping cart back in its place.

20. Call or write to a teacher who changed your life.

21. Bring a box of doughnuts to share at the office.

22. Forgive someone a debt–and never bring it up again.

23. Listen with all your senses. 

24. Write a note to the boss of someone who helps you, and explain how great a job that person is doing.

25. Simply say "I'm sorry" when you're wrong.

26. Throw away your trash—and someone else's—after a movie, picnic or visit to a park.

27. Encourage someone who seems despondent.

28. Volunteer to take care of a friend's dog while he is vacationing.

29. Help a friend pack for a move.

30. Ask someone "How are you really doing?"—and then really listen to her response.

31. Offer change when the person in front of you at the register comes up short.

32. Before a friend moves away, give her your favorite recipe or quote and a photo of the two of you together.

33. Leave a generous tip for a pleasant waiter.

34. At work, offer to transfer a caller who needs help from another department.

35. Pass along a great book you've just finished reading.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/35-Little-Acts-of-Kindness/1#ixzz2rWEUJwqT

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A friend emailed me her comment:

"So there has been lots of discussion about the rules for the RAK club around my house tonight - I interpreted it as everyday doing a kindness that is "extra" or something I wouldn't normally do - maybe to a stranger, maybe to someone I know, maybe to an animal or the earth.
Bob thinks that the kindnesses should always be done to a stranger so they can "pay it forward".
Thoughts?"

My thought is that it's an extra thing you normally would not do - anything that would brighten someone's or some animal's day. It doesn't have to be an act toward a random stranger, I don't think. People will still be inclined to "pay it forward", even though you're doing an RAK to someone you know. You make someone smile, they'll want to do the same to another.

viv said...

Good day RAK participants.
It is a blustery cold day in southern Saskatchewan and I now there are a lot of shut-ins. I proceeded today to call an elderly friend that I hadn't connected with in several months, just to let her know I am thinking of her and missing her. She replied choking back the tears, " that she was so happy I called and made her feel worthy of love!"
Joy filled my heart! and I know put meaning into her life, even if it was just for one day!

Je said...

While we all may feel a little shy about posting our acts of kindness, I am looking forward to hearing how our "acts" can make others feel and change their day for the better. It is uplifting and restores my faith in humanity!

Unknown said...

My kind act today was buying a Tim Horton's gift card and leaving it on the steps to the homeless shelter. Actually, Evelynne jumped out of the car and left the card on the steps. Interestingly enough, after I had purchased the gift card, I stopped at the grocery store. The gentleman in the line ahead of me didn't have a points card, so he offered to give me his points. Smile! I felt even happier as I drove downtown to the homeless shelter.